Thursday, December 24, 2009

Stay Married

Please...stay married.

I am saying this as an adult child of divorce...it sounds like some self-help group.

All I know is I am almost 40 and it seems like the (multiple) divorces in my family affect me now more than ever.

And I'm sick of it.

And I'm pissed.

And so, if you are married, I am begging you to do what you can to keep it that way.

The thing is, the 2 people who get divorced aren't really the ones who have to deal with the fallout. Sure, when it initially happens, there are questions of custody (maybe), alimony, splitting up property. But once that's worked out, they are free to live their lives.

The children, however, spend the rest of their lives dealing with the fallout.

For me it happens every holiday season. Who to be with, where to go, who gets breakfast, who gets dinner...it becomes one giant juggling act. There are suggestions, guilt trips, pity parties and resentments.. It really puts a damper on things. I would love to just take a vacation from life beginning on the day before Thanksgiving and ending on the day after Christmas.

In fact, it seems to be a bigger deal now that I am an adult with my own family than when I was a kid.

So...here is a great movie to get you started on the path to staying together. And then there is a book. I have seen it/read it. It is guaranteed to help.

Please. Thanks.

No comments: