Monday, May 11, 2009

I am blessed...

...beyond compare. It is 9:30 at night, and the sounds of my family sleeping are all around me. Keith is snoring, the dogs are breathing deep, Corkie is here sleeping in front of my computer, and Kaleb just fell peacefully asleep in his own bed!

I can remember a time when I was dating and it seemed like every guy I went out with turned out to be a complete jerk! I really thought I would never marry, and would grow old with my cats. I was totally OK with that plan.

Today I am married to my best friend. He is always supportive of me no matter what, he always has my back, and he is thoughtful to a fault. I was totally spoiled for Mother's Day weekend....and not with expensive gifts, just several things that showed he put real thought into it.

We thought we would never have kids of our own. I figured I would just be an awesome step mom to Kyle as he grew up. And I am. He is as much my son as if I had given birth to him myself.

Our dogs are the best! Of course, we ended up with 2 because of the whole never-gonna-have-kids-of-our-own deal. And despite the added energy they bring to the house, they really do make our house a home. I hope they are as happy with us as we are with them.

Of course, I can't forget Corkie...I've had her since I was 21. I got her when I still lived in Connecticut. She has seen a lot of changes in our lives over the years, and she remains snuggled up in the crook of my arm every night.
Last but not least - Kaleb. My sweet, precious, amazing gift from God. I tell him every day how lucky I am that God chose me to be his mommy here on earth. He has taught me so many lessons on love, patience, joy, worry, and hope. I just can't say enough how much I love him. It also really helps that he finally sleeps through the night, most of the time in his own room!

We don't live in a huge house. We don't have wads of cash in our pockets. We don't always have enough for the "extras" that we'd like to buy.
Who cares? We have a home full of love and laughter. We are blessed.





1 comment:

Heidi said...

We are blessed - it's so easy to forget... Thanks for the reminder!