Thursday, May 28, 2009

To Goodie Bag or Not?


I would like to meet the person who decided that you need to give goodie bags to all of your guests at your kid's birthday party so that I can smack him/her upside the head.

What the heck, people??!!

Is it not enough that I am having you over to my house, where I will feed and entertain you? Now I need to fill an overpriced bag with a bunch of stuff you are going to throw away?

I think it's ridiculous! I know I'm not alone on this one.

Kaleb's party is this weekend (his birthday was May 3, but we wanted to wait until Kyle was home), and Keith asked me about goodie bags. Of course, I told him how I feel about them. This is what I heard back:

"Well, babe it's not really about you, is it? It's about the kids and how excited they will be to get a bag of goodies."

Whatever.

So now I'm off to the 99-cent store to waste a bunch of money on a bunch of crap that will just get thrown away.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

When Cole's 2nd birthday party rolled around, I too dealt with the favor bag, TO give or NOT to give...I grappled with a few ideas b/c I couldn't get past not giving the little ones anything (oh the guilt I would have felt *sigh*) so I went to Costco and in their book section you can buy like mini-board book sets(Dr. Seuss, Eric Carle, Tonka, Counting/ABCs)...this way I bought 2 sets (8 in each/all different) and put them in a basket by the door, the kids could pick their choice as they left. That way I didn't feel guilty about NOT giving them something but what I gave was something useful since I am a big believer in all things books!