Thursday, May 7, 2009

Not their World Vision?

I have been so busy lately that I haven't had time to blog. I have many posts-in-progress, like my review of Kate Gosselin's visit to our church (so much more interesting now that Jon is supposedly having an affair), Kaleb turned 3 this past Sunday (!), and he is (finally) potty-trained!

For now, I have time to vent my frustration about this:

Kaleb's birthday party isn't until the end of the month. Even though his actual birthday was Sunday, we are waiting until Kyle gets home from school to have the party.

So: if you have little ones, then you know they tend to accumulate a lot of junk. I'm talking about those toys that they never play with, and end up taking up too much space.

Kaleb has grandparents and step-grandparents who spoil him crazy, so once they are done giving him presents he has plenty. I decided for his party to ask that in lieu of gifts, people donate to our World Vision sponsor child. His name is Fredrick. He lives in Kenya and his 16th birthday is also this month. I thought it was a great idea. After all, if someone is willing to spend $20 on a present that Kaleb will never play with, surely they are willing to donate that money to someone who truly needs it. Right?

Wrong. I actually received a phone call from someone who was complaining that Kaleb knows it's his birthday and he know people get presents and yada yada. She basically made me out to be a really mean mom who was depriving my son.

I'm a little frustrated. I was just trying to do something nice for someone who has so little. Kaleb has so much; it doesn't seem like a big deal to let someone else "take" some of his loot.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I had this "issue" this past year with Cole's 2nd birthday. He has also been way blessed with too many material objects which sit and collect dust. I suggested to my mom friends that I would do "in honor of" donations especially considering Cole is still to young to realize the whole concept of birthday gifts (as he gets older, I plan on donating most of the gifts to the pediatric ward and we will let him choose one-two to keep himself). Anyway, despite my doing the donation thing, people still brought Cole gifts *sigh* So I donated most and kept a few and will try again next year! I'm glad people were generous but it is so important to teach kids that receiving numerous presents are not what birthdays and holidays are about. There are all kinds of fun things we can do to celebrate instead! No wonder being a parent these days is so hard, no one honors YOUR wishes that you have for YOUR child!