Monday, July 20, 2009

Women Behaving Badly

I have noticed a disturbing trend lately of women acting completely selfishly, with utter disregard for other people. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, since we do live in an increasingly "me" oriented society. It seems like it's more the norm to put our own interests and needs above other people's. Manners seem to be more a thing of the past (which is totally obvious any time you get on the freeway).

This week I witnessed 2 separate examples of this bad behavior...both times from women.

Example #1: At the gym, I take a class called "24 set." It is pretty popular, and so it's important to get there early to line up. Once the class before lets out, we all rush in and start grabbing our equipment. The problem is, there aren't enough clips (that hold the weights on the bar) for everyone, so some people have to go without.

However, lately women are going into the room before the other class is even finished and setting up their stuff while people are still working out. Plus, people rush in and pretty much knock anyone and everyone over to get their equipment. If you waste time being polite, you'll end up without a spot.

And even though a bunch of us were talking about this very thing as we waited in line, the tension started to grow as the class time drew closer. We all started jockeying for position, the conversations ceased, and we fixed our eyes on the room.

Example #2: Kaleb went to vacation bible school at our church last week. I am still amazed at the way some of the moms were driving in the parking lot at pick-up time. I watched as a lady was trying to back up from her spot. Another woman, apparently in a huge rush, was incapable of stopping to let this person back up; she just swerved to avoid her. Then, someone else came whizzing past us so fast that Keith actually yelled at her to slow down...that's when I noticed she was too busy texting to even notice.

So, ladies...why do we act like this? I'm not an innocent; I know there are plenty of times when I'm running late that I drive too fast or I don't stop to let someone cross when I otherwise would. But...I spend a lot of time trying to teach Kaleb to be polite and wait his turn. I think a lot of parents do. So why don't we follow our own advice?

1 comment:

StuartC said...

WHERE do you find these pictures? They are fantastic.