Sunday, April 11, 2010

Is Ignorance Really Bliss?

So...is ignorance really bliss? Do you really want to be kept in the dark?



A few weeks ago at church we saw a lady who had on a beautiful jersey-knit dress. She really looked lovely. Except for the panty lines that I could not stop staring at.



As we watched her walk across the parking lot, I said to Keith, "why in the heck doesn't her husband tell her what the rest of us see? Why would he let her walk around like that?!"



I'm sure you've seen women fall into the same trap...they have no idea they are pulling a major fashion Don't as they strut around. And I always wonder why somebody doesn't tell them?!



So...the one thing about Keith is that he is always reliable as far as giving me honest opinions of how I look in what I am wearing.



Unfortunately, I don't always like the opinions!



This weekend he pointed out something that wasn't exactly flattering on me. As soon as he said it, he said, "great, I never should have said anything. Now I'm going to end up on your blog."



Well...sorry, babe you are right...but I promise I will not repeat what you told me.

Anyway, I was so bummed at what he pointed out to me even though I knew he was right. And I also knew he wasn't being mean; he just wanted to let me know what I obviously didn't want to see.

So, ladies...here's my question for you: Do you want to know or do you want to be blissfully ignorant? Would you rather have your husband (or boyfriend, or girlfriend) point out something that isn't flattering, or would you rather that strangers walk past you and giggle?

I am thankful for the honest feedback, even if it does hurt just a bit.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

I want to know . . . the girls and Scott are brutally honest . . . and so are my close friends . . . I have been saved several times from the fashion faux pau and I am so thankful . . . by the way . . . that wasn't me you saw in the church parking lot was it? . . . xoxo

Sarah said...

Poor Brandon....I am hit or miss with this issue. If I feel the "fashion faux pau" isn't TOOOO bad than I rather he just keep his mouth shut however there are also times where he better tell me or else. I recently had my son tell me something "did not look right with my outfit"..."you just shouldn't wear those pants Mommy"...I got no details but I changed my clothes and we were all happy. :)

Heidi said...

It's always better to know... it sucks being told - but the alternative is soooo much worse.