Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The 'rents are coming


In 3 1/2 hours my dad and step mom will be here for a visit.
I love them both. Very much. My step mom has been in my life since I was 7. She is like a 2nd mom.
BUT......I tend to get very anxious when they come to visit. My step mom, Joyce, doesn't really have a filter from her brain to her mouth. She doesn't always stop to think if what she is about to say is appropriate. I have also come to believe that she thinks 2 things of me: 1) that I am 12 years old and need to be guided through everything and, 2) that I am a total idiot.
On her last visit she said, "did you know that you can buy things like toilet paper in bulk at Costco?" Ummmm, yeeeaah. I live with 3 boys. I know all about the need for tons of toilet paper.
She used to always tell me that I was too skinny. She hasn't said that in a while.
She also points out that I look much better when I put makeup on. Hence, I am wearing makeup today.
Also, they watch every move I make with Kaleb. Last time we saw them, he drank about 2 huge cups of orange juice. Then he wasn't hungry for lunch. I heard my dad mutter something about all the orange juice he drank. I am sure they have a list of things I don't do correctly. I know this because I always here the list of things my brother and his wife don't do with their 3 kids.
Anyway, the house is a mess, I'm not finished decorating for Christmas, I have 500 other things to do, and they will be here in 3 1/2 hours. I should probably go.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Oh dear... hang in there! Remember that they love you.

Try and remember that you love them too. :)

Anxious to hear how it goes.