Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Will it always be like this?

Before Kaleb was born, I can remember being at the grocery store and witnessing a toddler having a complete fit. The mother said, "if you don't stop it we are going to leave the cart right here and go home." The child didn't stop, and they didn't go home. I though to myself, "I will never do that. If I make a threat, I will follow through."

Today that was tested. But first - a little background.

Normally I would describe Kaleb as funny, smart, cute, kind, thoughtful, etc etc. Typical mom gushing about her child description. However - lately I have been using the word "turd" a lot. A. LOT. I know, I know, it sounds horrible to call my sweet precious gift from God a turd. But, as Woody says "if the boot fits...".

He has suddenly become defiant and argumentative. his favorite word is "NO" and he refuses to accept my authority over him. The terrible two's have finally hit just a few months away from his 3rd birthday.

Fast forward to today. My mom was having cataract surgery, so after we dropped her off we headed to Disneyland to have some fun until she was ready to be picked up. This morning Kaleb was being difficult and Keith wondered whether he should be rewarded with a trip to Disneyland or not. I decided to tell Kaleb what he needed to do in order for us to go. And he did.

We get parked in Goofy, 4C and head for the tram. As we are waiting in line, I opened the stroller for him to hop out.

Kaleb: "NO" and pulls the bar shut.

Me: "Kaleb, I need you to get out so I can fold the stroller up and we can get in the tram."

Kaleb: "NO!!!" (and not at all in a playful way)

Me: "Kaleb, if you don't get out RIGHT NOW we are going to turn around and go home." (mind you, we are probably going to be on the next tram)

Kaleb: "Go home." (Crap...he's calling my bluff)

Me: "OK, here we go!"

As we turn around to go, I desperately want to tell everyone who is staring at me like I am so evil, "Don't worry, we come here once a week. It'll be OK; he'll survive. I'm trying to teach him a lesson!"

When he realized we were actually leaving he threw an absolute fit. It sucked. I hated taking something as fun as Disneyland away from him. But...I really want him to see that there are consequences for his actions. I really hope he gets it. I really hope this is just a phase and it will pass.

He fell asleep on the way home. I put him in bed for a nap without waking him. He looked like such an angel. I wouldn't trade him for anything.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Good for you for sticking to your word!

It's so hard - but so important...

Discipline is about promises being kept.

You kept your promise. Someday he will be glad you did.