Friday, November 21, 2008

Dear dog owners

Actually, I should address this, "Dear 6 or 7 irresponsible dog owners in my neighborhood."

I am getting really tired of your dogs running around off-leash. You see, I have spent a lot of money and countless numbers of hours training my dogs. When they were puppies, we spent a lot of time socializing them with kids, older people, and other dogs. When you own a "dangerous breed" (as Rottweilers are classified), it is only responsible to be sure they represent their breed as friendly, loving dogs.

Having said that, my dogs are not perfect. They still don't like our cat, even though they have lived with her since we brought them home. They also howl with sirens and bark with other dogs in the middle of the night.

Oh yeah, and they really don't like when little cotton puff dogs come charging and barking (more like yapping) at us on our walks. You know who you are. It is the same dogs over and over. They interpret it as a threat to me and my son, and they instinctively want to protect us. I see you all laughing as your dog begins the attack. You think it's really funny to watch as your 10-pound dog charges at the 2 big Rottweilers. But you always stop laughing when my dogs rear up and go bananas...why? That is the funniest part! In fact, we laugh for days about it!

If I had time to walk each dog individually I would. That would probably cut out some of the tension. But I simply don't have that much time. So...I walk 200 pounds of dog with one hand and push the stroller containing my 2 year-old in the other. I kind of have my hands full. Do me a favor and keep your dog on a leash. Because I will not hesitate to pepper spray your dog in order to protect it from being eaten! Or maybe one day I will just let go of the leashes and see how your little puff balls fare.

Here is a portion of the law in Huntington Beach regarding leashes...and may I remind you that there is no law stating that my dogs should want to play with your dogs...only that they be on a leash and under control.

Thank you and I will see you soon!

13.48.070 Animals. No person shall ride, lead or let loose any cattle, horse, mule, goat, sheep, swine, cat, dog, fowl or animal of any kind in a park except that it shall not be unlawful to have dogs, physically restrained by a leash not in excess of six (6) feet, or to ride horses on trails specifically provided for them. No person shall permit a dog to be or remain unattended outside a tent, camper or other enclosed vehicle between the hours of sunset and sunrise. No person shall keep or permit to remain any dog which is noisy, vicious or dangerous or which disturbs other persons within the boundaries of a park after such person has been directed by a park ranger to remove such dog.


PS: The above picture was taken last weekend at a walk to benefit pet cancer awareness. There were about 100 dogs there and Rucchin and Sasha didn't so much as bark at one of them!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

OMG...this had me cracking up...Tucker is 92lbs of lab and dislikes yappy little "dogs" actually just turns his head in digust. I love all animals but I have to agree how annoying it is that their owners think it is cute when they run up to him yakking away, until Tucker decides he has had enough of said yippy dog in his face and barks just ONE big WOOF as a warning then they look at me like my sweet pooch is some aggressive male ready to attack. LOL