Friday, November 28, 2008

Oh no, he didn't!


Leave it to Keith to provide us with an uncomfortable moment at Thanksgiving dinner!

Here is a quick run-down on Keith: people either really like him or they really dislike him. There is no gray area. You either get him or not. He will always say the thing that everyone is thinking but are too PC to say. If there is an area of conversation that makes you uncomfortable, he will bring it up.
So we went to Keith's aunt's house for the annual Martinelli Thanksgiving dinner. This year, his aunt also invited a couple of her friends, plus the father of the friend. There were about 30 people altogether.
For some reason, the friend was dumb enough to bring up the subject of Barack Obama. Stop. Right there, I knew there would be trouble. Keith and I both really dislike Obama's politics. We are big Republicans. The difference between Keith and I is that I don't like to talk about it with people who I know like Obama. There is no changing their minds, just as they will not change mine. So if the subject comes up, I usually find a way to walk away. Keith, on the other hand, loves to get into it.
So, while I am thinking, "who's the idiot who brought up politics at Thanksgiving?", Keith is surprisingly not saying anything. Phew! Relief! And then he did it...he repeated a very off-color joke that has been going around via email (something having to do with government housing). At first I though nobody heard. And then, out of the mouth of the friend's father, "That is very offensive." And then the glare. The rest of us just looked at our feet. Keith thought he was kidding, so rather than stop, he just laughed and said "I know."
It probably doesn't sound that bad, but the tension was palpable. The guy was seriously pissed. The rest of the night, there were lots of dirty looks and tension.
Leave it to Keith.

1 comment:

StuartC said...

Oh, Kerry. I think your husband and I would get along VERY well. I am thoroughly enjoying your stories on this site. Very well written and clever. Have gotten a laugh out of every one. Hope you and your family are well. Tell Keith I have some good jokes he MAY not have heard yet!

-Stuart