Monday, November 10, 2008

Elvis has left the building...

Just got back from a trip to visit my father-in-law in Nashville, Tennessee. This was the first time I had ever been in the south, and it was my mission while we were there to do "something southern."
So...we saw Elvis. Keith is convinced he is still alive, and there is no convincing him otherwise.
I ate a bacon, lettuce and fried green tomato sandwich (that was pretty southern).


Then grandpa bought Kaleb some boots and a shirt. needless to say, he wants to wear the boots everywhere!
Keith and I went barhopping to some honky-tonk joints. I had to visit Coy.ote Ugl.y.....let's just say I saw it and won't be going back. it was pretty much one step up from a strip joint.
But...finally I experienced something really southern...church. We went with Keith's dad to the Victor.y Assemb.ly of God Pentecostal church. It was a lot like my church in HB and a lot different at the same time.
The differences: There were only about 30 people in the service. The pastor jumped up and down on the pews and yelled...a lot. I had a splitting headache by the end. He also called everyone liars and talked a lot about hell and damnation. I was a little scared at times. Also, it was sometimes hard to focus on the pastor because so many people were yelling out 'amen' and 'hallelujah'. It was almost like they were trying to outdo each other.
The similarities: Our pastor is from the south, also. The congregation was very welcoming and friendly...lots of hugs. The music was wonderful. And, mostly...it was a place where I could be with God and hear His word and know that I am loved. There was a young woman (maybe 35?) who was obviously battling cancer of some type. During worship, she went up front and knelt at the stage. Soon, all the other women were around her...one hand touching her and the other raised to the Lord. I could feel their prayers going out to her. I felt almost like an intruder. And I was brought to tears by their expression of love.

No comments: