Thursday, November 13, 2008

Pure Joy


Today I experienced the feeling of pure joy. Kaleb and I were at Bel.la Terr.a doing some shopping. He needed to run around, so we walked over to the amphitheatre. There was another boy there, and within seconds they were chasing each other around and laughing and smiling. Soon, more kids joined them. Kaleb kept saying, "look at all my friends."

I realized how lucky kids are. They haven't learned to judge people yet. They don't know prejudice. Kaleb thinks everyone is his friend. On the odd occasion that a little one is mean to him, he is genuinely hurt.

I watched him for a while and felt the tears welling up. What I was witnessing was pure joy. I don't know how often I experience anything like that. I hope he always does.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Nice post - I know what you're talking about. It gets harder as we get older - kinding depressing... we could learn something from our kids.

Melissa said...

That was great! Fun thing about having kids is that we sort of get to experience that pure joy again just from the sidelines.